For most engineering projects the Consulting Engineer is appointed directly by the Client. The Consulting Engineer, under this appointmant, is resposible to the Client for all aspects of the appointment from inception to completion. This overall responsibility would include:
- The appointment of all sub-consultants, specialists and service providers required to complete the requirements of the professional appointment, colectively being the project team
- The programming of the project and the management of the project team
- The planning, detail design, documentation, tendering, construction supervision and handover of the project
- Advice to the client on all aspetcs of the appointment
The appointed Consulting Engineer has a professional duty to provide the Client with the correct professional level of service and to provide advice and guidence commensurate with this obligation.
Mosty Clients have requirements regarding performance specifications and procurement procedures and the Consulting Engineer is also required to accommodate these requirements, where appropriate and applicable, in his appointment.
Legally the Contractor or Contractors appointed to conduct the Work by the Client are appointed directly by the Client based on the documentation prepared by the Consulting Engineer.
In some projects, such as buildings, a project team is normally appointed comprising of:
- An Architect. The Architect designs the building with regard to aesthetics, functionality, layout, interior and exterior design. The architect will normally also be the Principal Agent in terms of the team co-ordination.
- One or more Consulting Engineers depending on the scope of the Works. The Consulting Engineers design the structure and civil works of the building as well as various services such as Electrical, Water, Air Conditioning etc. which go into the building
- A Quantity Surveyor. The Quantity Surveyor prepares Bills of Quantities for the project and, with the Principal Agent, controls the project finances
- Collectively this team provides the same service that the Consulting Engineer provides on direct appointments.