The Association of Consulting Engineers of Namibia is a voluntary association of Consulting Engineers which:
- are in the business of offering independent technology based intellectual services in the built, human and natural environment to clients for a fee;
- are managed and have their operating policies determined by people whose professional qualifications and conduct are in keeping with the requirements of the Constitution and the By-laws;
- have high professional repute and ethical standards and operate in accordance with the code of Conduct.
The Association was established in 1982 as a voluntary association of the Consulting Engineering firms in Namibia. Membership has grown from a founding group of 6 practices to a current 55 with a total employment as of January 2020 of close to 400. The Association is the only collective representation for Consulting Engineers in Namibia at this time.
In addition, the Association is the only body recognised in Namibia by the Fédération Internationale des Ingénieurs Conseils (The International Federation of Consulting Engineers, better known as FIDIC) as well as GAMA, the Group of Africa Members Association.
The purpose of ACEN is three-fold. Firstly we represent the best interests of the Consulting Engineers in general towards our clients, very much in the same way as a trade union does for its members. Secondly we represent a direct access route by our clients to our members so that we can aid long term principles such as government policy and the like. Thirdly we provide a structure to which Consulting firms must conform thereby ensuring accountable, responsible and fair practise by all members.
Some specific areas of importance are listed below:
- All member firms of the appropriate size have, or are in the process of, addressing the affirmative action policies set by the Government
- Many members provide bursaries to suitable prospective students and assist emerging professionals in skills development
- All members carry professional indemnity insurance, which provides clients with peace of mind and financial recourse.